Friday, May 15, 2009

In my opinion, mummy's are a blast to draw because the wrappings 'busy up' the image. This guy's 'letting his nose lead the way'. I tried to keep that phrase in mind while drawing the body, letting the nose sort of drag the rest of the body behind it.

This monster-inking was done on watercolor paper, which I'm really enjoying recently. I can bring the pad with me wherever I go, the paper does not get all wrinkly when I use a lot of ink, it's nice. I drew eye-ball people when I was a little kid (really just eye-balls with arms and legs, and sometime mohawks) , and wanted to draw a 'grown up' version.

Bizarro characters! I'm playing with form and weight here. I'll occasionally lapse into this exaggerated representation, thinking through the human body outside of the limitations that our skeletal structure imposes (imposes?).

Here's a wounded gentleman - mostly an excuse to draw some arm muscles. As a big fan of comic books, I spent a lot of my youth drawing muscly-looking people. I've gotten away from it somewhat, but still get a big kick out of drawing the muscles interaction with the circulatory system just under the skin. There are a few artists who get really into it, and it's an area in which I would like to improve.

I really like this characters bumpy shoulder-pads, and the canisters on her 'belt'. Good time!

Hillbilly swamp-man. I did not really have a plan for this guy as I began drawing him, but I like his shirt and tie, and his 1930's 'long in the front' hairdo.

Odd little drawing here - I was trying to draw my way out of a dry spell and wound up working on this for awhile. I like the cartoony sword and the overall montage effect.

The robot-woman on the right is in the same vein as another robot-woman I drew recently. I had intended the two to be a pair, but in the end decided one robot woman was plenty.

Lesee, I like this guy's shoes. They remind me of the Joker.

More folks with odd proportions. I really like the woman in this one - I think her profile comes off as very regal, yet different enough to stand out a little.

More inking on watercolor paper. Top hats might be the easiest thing to shade-in ever. They're great - big impact and invoke a lot of different things.

These guys' were fun to draw - facial hair in general is fun to play around with. I also like the pack's they're lugging around, and the bunchy elastic sleeve.

Random sketch-page. I wish I had done more tentacle stuff in this one.

Chicken-fight! Another sketch-page with an odd mix of characters. I drew the woman on the right after watching the 1935 film She, which though not a great film overall, did have some great art-deco sets and costumes. Also, there was a frozen saber-toothed tiger that looked amazing for the period.

Man this guy's a piece of work. I really like John Carpenter's The Thing, and this reminds me of the creature in that film. While not meant to be a complete rip-off, I do happen to watch that movie a lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home